Survivalism

<Optimal> The Site 19 intercom crackles to life. A familiar voice comes through. «Would all available personnel please report to the motorpool as soon as possible.»
<gumbal1> "I imagine this is for convenience."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran arrives at the motor pool.
<Daedalus> Hermann reluctantly enters the motor pool. ~We need to clean this place… it's filthy.~
<Nemi> Lis appears in the motorpool! Wowser gee. She .. looks around, pausing as she notices all who all is present.
<Optimal> When the group all appears, they do not see the Administrator, Fulton, Lambert or any 'not liked' generals. They see Frederick Ibel standing in front of an easel with various papers and pictures to it.
<Daedalus> "Hello Mr. Ibel."
<gumbal1> "Monsieur good Ibel?"
<TesKin> Branko nods at Fred.
<gumbal1> "What are you doing here?"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran wheels to the motor pool and looks at Fred.
<TeslaTornado> Not sure if he recognizes him or not.
<Optimal> Fred opens his arms. "Hey guys! Sorry about the whole, 'met me in the motorpool' thing. I actually wasn't aware we had a debriefing room actually."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran pinches the bridge of his nose. "Well please remember next time. This place is disgusting. What is it, sir?"
<Sax> Adrian leans against a post.
<Sax> ~Reminds me of old days~
<TesKin> Branko takes a knee and waits.
<Optimal> "You're also probably wondering why I'm here. Well, none of the higher-ups believed that this was a big enough threat to waste any of their own time on, so they sent me. Sorry you didn't get anything better." He smiles as a sign that he is joking.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran doesn't laugh.
<Optimal> Fred senses Gavran's disapproval. "So, uh… anyway." He points to a picture on the board. "So as you see here, one of our operatives in Western New York had discovered an artifact."
<gumbal1> "What's the artifact do?"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran waits patiently.
<Nemi> "Okay." Lis peeer st the picture.
<Sax> Adiran's also waiting.
<Optimal> The artifact is about 2 feet long, prolate spheroid in shape. Eight lines stretching from end to end meet at each end and glow a vibrant white. In the middle, between each line is a religious symbol. They are the Egyptian Ankh, the Star of David, the Islamic symbol, the Christian cross, the Nine-Pointed Star, the Buddhism Symbol, the Sikhism symbol, and the Shinto symbol, all of them shining a bright white. The remaining space on
<Optimal> the spheroid is a glossy black.
<Daedalus> "That is quite a number of religious symbols."
<Optimal> "Well Danielle… it doesn't do anything but glow. That's it. Just emanates light."
<gumbal1> "And in decreasing order of familiarity."
<TeslaTornado> "Shinto, Judaism, Egyptian mythology, Christianity…"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran hmphs. "Quite a repertoire."
<TesKin> "When was it found?"
<Nemi> "So the task is to just go get it?"
<Optimal> "Your job here is to grab this artifact and bring it back to the site with you. That's it. Nothing too dangerous, unless of course it grows tentacles and tries to strangle you on the way back."
<Daedalus> "I wouldn't recommend touching it."
<gumbal1> ~I wouldn't reccomend you touching it~
<TeslaTornado> "Why? Afraid you would be set ablaze, Satan?"
<TesKin> Branko snickers quietly.
<Optimal> Fred looks at Branko. "The artifact was found around a couple days ago. Our operative has been in possession of it ever since."
<Nemi> Lis inhales. ".. Okay. Good luck with that. I think we have more than enough people here for a simple transport job, even if it inevitably goes really weird."
<TesKin> Branko nods. "Seems easy enough."
<Daedalus> Hermann rubs his temples.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran shrugs. "It could be significantly /worse/, but we should prepare for disaster regardless."
<Nemi> Lis turns to leave.
<TesKin> "I agree. If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing."
<Optimal> "Lis, everything we are involved in goes inevitably weird. And also… do you have the appropriate clothing to hide your… uh… glowing personality? I imagine the people would be quite freightened if they saw you like that."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran turns to follow her.
<gumbal1> Danielle leaves as well.
<Sax> Adrian scribbles down some notes.
<Nemi> "I don't, whiiiich is why I'm backing out of this. You've got five people here anyway."
<Nemi> "Ciao-ciao!" Lis exits into the site proper and wanders off.
<Optimal> Fred continues with the others. "You will find a transport truck and a station wagon waiting for you near the garage exit."
<TeslaTornado> "Miss Tande, I honestly believe it would be a goo-"
<Optimal> "That's pretty much it, everyone. Good luck."
<TeslaTornado> "Ugh. Fine." Gavran sighs and scoots off to the waiting vehicles.
<Daedalus> Hermann checks his watch and heads out with the others.
<TesKin> Branko stands and reaches out to shake Fred's hand.
<Sax> "Circumstances of recovery?"
<Sax> Adrian asks Fred a question.
<Sax> "Like, how was this object originally discovered?"
<TeslaTornado> "It's in our possession now, does it matter?"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran crows from his position by the station wagon.
<Sax> "It does."
<Optimal> Fred looks blankly at Adrian. "OH JESUS, I'm so sorry. Where you will be going! I forgot to tell you!" Frederick has been notoriously forgetful lately.
<Sax> "In case someone wants it back."
<gumbal1> Danielle returns. "I thought she was going to the vehicle."
<TeslaTornado> "We could always, you know, lock it up."
<TeslaTornado> "In the sprawling underground complex."
<TeslaTornado> "Guarded by trained security."
<Sax> "When it gets here."
<Sax> "It's not here yet."
<TeslaTornado> "Then what are we waiting for?"
<Optimal> "Right. You will be heading to Lyndonville, a small town near Lake Ontario. Our operative works in a small store called the Pennysaver. Ask for him there."
<TesKin> Branko drops his hand and walks to the vehicle.
<gumbal1> Danielel follows Branko.
<Daedalus> Is there a driver?
<Sax> Adrian gets into something more appropriate, and also gets his plain haversack.
<Optimal> "Good luck everyone!"
<Sax> ~I don't like this one bit~
<gumbal1> Danielle gets in shotgun.
<TesKin> Branko climbs into the back of the transport truck.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran loads his satchel into the station wagon and then climbs into the backseat.
<Sax> Adrian gets into the station wagon.
<Sax> He'll drive.
<Optimal> There is a driver in the truck but not the station wagon. The truck driver is a fat man with a baseball cap on his noggin.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks at his wheelchair in the back of the station wagon and sighs.
<Optimal> "Hey, you guys the crew? You guys are gonna have to drive the wagon, all the other drivers are out."
<Sax> Adrian's driving the station wagon.
<Daedalus> Hermann sits in the back of the station wagon, lighting up a pipe.
<Optimal> "I'll lead be leadin the way there. You guys follow tight, alright?"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran doesn't like the cramped conditions in this station wagon all of a sudden.
<TeslaTornado> He piles out of the station wagon and throws his gear into the truck.
<TeslaTornado> Then hauls himself into it.
<TesKin> Branko sighs and leans back, closes his eyes.
<TesKin> and*
<Sax> "Got it."
<Optimal> The driver climbs into the cab of the transport and starts up the engine. "Eh! One last thing! There's a shit load of artillery in the back if you guys need it! I hope you don't!"
<Sax> ~I hope someone on this team knows how-to use it better than me…~
<Sax> Adrian scruches around to make sure his pistol holster doesn't press too tight as he sits.
<gumbal1> ~Oh lord, they provided for artillery.~
<Daedalus> ~Why would we need weapons?~
<TeslaTornado> Gavran doesn't question this. He can't do much from a wheelchair aside from flip himself over.
<Optimal> Truck driver revs the engine and takes off down the path.
<gumbal1> Danielle looks out the window of the truck.
<TeslaTornado> And the last time he used his gun, he ended up with two broken legs and a long stint in medical.
<Sax> Adrian follows.
<TesKin> Branko grins, he does enjoy large bombs.
<Optimal> To all of the people in the wagon, they may find a brochure about the small town they'll be visiting. There are about six of them, so everyone can read on the way there! :D
<Sax> Adrian reads up.
<Optimal> 'Lyndonville is a small town located north of Site 19, near Lake Ontario. The town has formed itself around a single road mostly used for the transporting of goods. Other smaller roads branch out to housing districts…'
<Optimal> It rambles on about other shit, none of it looking important.
<gumbal1> Danielle does, too.
<Optimal> Except for the fact that the town's main export is apples. Interesting.
<Daedalus> Hermann sighs at that last part. Apples make him sad.
<Sax> Adrian keeps this in mind.
<Optimal> Many, many trees can be seen out the window. Hours go by. About six of them. Until finally they come to route 63, the road Lyndonville is wrapped around.
<gumbal1> Danielle resumes looking out the window
<TeslaTornado> Gavran taps his hands on his knees and plays a clapping game by himself. Like patty-cake, but not.
<Sax> Adrian notes the entrance to the town.
<TesKin> Branko watches Gavran. He slept for most of the ride.
<Sax> Anything special about it?
<Optimal> Nothing really. It's actually pretty damn boring. Bar there. Shop there. Library there. The school near the river is the biggest part about the district.
<Optimal> Hey, and there's the Pennysaver! The transport rounds the corner and parks up behind the shop.
<Daedalus> Hermann sleeps in the back.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran hopes there are no stairs.
<TesKin> Branko hops down and grabs Gavran's wheelchair.
<TeslaTornado> He nods at Branko, and eases himself down from the truck and into the chair.
<gumbal1> Danielle hops out and heads over.
<Optimal> There are indeed, no stairs. It is a two story building, but the shop is on the bottom part. In the doorway near the store's dumpsters is an average-sized man, dark brown hair, smoking a cigarette.
<TesKin> Branko returns the nod and follows Danielle.
<Daedalus> Hermann wakes up and climbs out.
<Optimal> "There you are. I was wondering whether or not Site 19 got the call."
<TeslaTornado> "We did." Gavran wheels past the others, to the counter.
<TeslaTornado> 4df+5 (Perc) He keeps an eye on the store for other suspicious individuals or happenings, inside or out.
<Glacon> TeslaTornado: (Perc) He keeps an eye on the store for other suspicious individuals or happenings, inside or out.: 6 (4df+5=+, +, -, 0)
<Optimal> "Obviously." The man takes another puff. "The name's Tyler."
<gumbal1> "So, where is the thing?"
<Optimal> Gavran, the store seems anomalously filthy. There are what look like shit marks on the wall, and smoke it pumping out of a vent close to the roof.
<TesKin> Branko moves towards the counter.
<Optimal> He takes another puff and speaks to Danielle. "I got right in the back here. Put it in a box just inside here."
<Optimal> Everybody's out back Branko.
<gumbal1> Danielle nods and heads inside.
<TesKin> (My bad)
<TeslaTornado> "Hold on." Gavran looks at Tyler. "This store is fucking filthy."
<Optimal> The inside is dank and dark, and very cluttered. Most of the clutter is boxes and garbage bags full of… oh god, I hop that's not bologna.
<TeslaTornado> "Is it normally this awful or did this happen as a side effect of the item?"
<Daedalus> Herman goes nowhere near the place.
<Daedalus> He stands by the car.
<Optimal> He looks back at Gavran. "Nah, this shithole's always been a shithole. I just work here. Don't own the place."
<gumbal1> Danielle plugs her nose and trudges on. She's been in worse places for worse reasons.
<gumbal1> 4df+4 (Perc) Danielle looks around for anything weird.
<Glacon> gumbal1: (Perc) Danielle looks around for anything weird.: 3 (4df+4=0, -, -, +)
<Optimal> Nope. Nothing weird, except for the bad smellin bags.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran nods. "It seems beyond the normal degree of filth. Well beyond."

  • Xiao (nus.eht.otni|gninnur#nus.eht.otni|gninnur) has joined

<gumbal1> Does she find the box?
<Optimal> Tyler bends down in front of a cardboard box and opens it. "Here it is." Who's inside right now?
<gumbal1> Danielle.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran.

  • Sax has quit (Ping timeout: 182 seconds)

<Optimal> Assuming everyone accept Hermann is inside, they see the same thing they saw in the picture. A very black spheriod with various glowing lines and symbols on it.
<gumbal1> "Is it safe to touch?"
<Optimal> "Here you are guys. Found it in the woods just south of here." He looks at Danielle. "Well… I carried back here, so I believe so."
<Optimal> *it back
<gumbal1> Danielle picks it up and examines it.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran removes a pen light from his breast pocket and examines it as well.
<Optimal> The artifact is rather heavy. All of the symbols glow at the same luminosity. It is a tad slippery though.
<TeslaTornado> 4df+5 (Perception) He also glances about furtively while doing so, trying to keep an eye on their surroundings.
<Glacon> TeslaTornado: (Perception) He also glances about furtively while doing so, trying to keep an eye on their surroundings.: 6 (4df+5=+, -, 0, +)
<gumbal1> "Well then, back to the Jeep."
<gumbal1> Danielle returns to the Jeep, artifact in tow.
<Optimal> Gavran, you spot a rat crawling around on the garbage bags in the distance. It stares back at you.
<Optimal> RIGHT
<Optimal> BACK
<Optimal> At
<Optimal> YOU
<TeslaTornado> Gavran scowls at the rat, and allows the others out first.
<Optimal> Damn, Danielle's carrying it herself? The shit's heavy.
<Optimal> About 60 pounds heavy.
<gumbal1> She has training in stealing things.
<gumbal1> But not that much.
<TesKin> Branko walks over to Danielle. "Would you like help?"
<gumbal1> Danielle quickly puts it down.
<gumbal1> "Oui."
<TesKin> Branko nods and grabs the artifact. Because he is a massive RUSSIAN BEAR, he is not troubbled by the weight.
<Optimal> As Danielle and Branko carry it outside, they may notice that the artifact seems to be… glowing brighter than before.
<gumbal1> If it doesn't get heavier, Danielle fails ot care.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran wheels after them. He looks to Tyler again. "Did anything strange happen while you were moving it, or when it was in your possession?"
<Optimal> *while you are moving. They haven't packed it in yet.
<Optimal> Assuming anyway.
<TesKin> "Are we putting this in the truck or the car?"

  • Xiao is now known as Sax

<Optimal> The thing is definitely glowing brighter than before. The trucker looks at Branko. "That's why we got the truck man. Hey… is that thing okay?"
<TeslaTornado> "Preferably the truck."
<Sax> Adrian's waiting outside by the station wagon.
<Daedalus> Hermann looks to the sphere, "Is that it?"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks at it. "Oh shit. Of course."
<TesKin> "I do not know. It is glowing brighter."
<Daedalus> He's waiting by the station wagon as well.
<Optimal> The artifact is beginning to make a slight whirring noise.
<Sax> Adrian looks cautiously at it.
<Daedalus> "I expected it to be larger."
<gumbal1> Danielle scowls at the artifact.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran wheels backwards towards the shop.
<TesKin> Branko just looks at it, confused.
<TeslaTornado> "GET IT INTO THE TRUCK!"
<gumbal1> Danielle quickens her pace.
<Optimal> Branko, you start to fell it getting… lighter.
<Optimal> *feel
<Optimal> And the thing glows brighter.
<Sax> "…"
<Sax> "Hermann, get behind cover."
<TesKin> Branko looks down again. "It is getting… Lighter?"

  • Wogglebug (ainavlyselggoW.ellivselggoW.grebelggoW|gubelggoW#ainavlyselggoW.ellivselggoW.grebelggoW|gubelggoW) has joined
  • ChanServ gives channel operator status to Wogglebug

<Optimal> The whirring gets louder.
<Sax> Adrian looks around the station wagon.
<Sax> Anything that can be used as cover?
<TesKin> "Danielle, I reccomend you let go."
<TeslaTornado> "BRANKO! PUT THE FUCKING BOX! IN THE FUCKING TRUCK!"
<Daedalus> Hermann pulls out his gun and gets behind the station wagon.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran is still wheeling backward.
<Sax> Adrian also pulls out his own firearm.
<Optimal> It's weight is definitely dropping. You could probably guess it's now 50 pounds. 40 pounds. 30… holy shit it's getting light.
<gumbal1> "We can still carry it together."
<Daedalus> "DROP IT DUMKOMPH!
<Daedalus> "
<TesKin> "Fuck it!" Branko jerks the artifact away from her and runs it to the truck, throwing it into the back.
<Sax> Adrian looks around. "Truck's secure?"
<gumbal1> "You'll break it!"
<Optimal> The artifact slips out of Branko's hands as he runs it falls like a feather.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran stares, and continues rolling backwards into the shop. Better in there than out here.
<Sax> "Oh Jesus!"
<Optimal> You can roll strength if you wanna try and grab it.
<TesKin> Sure why not.
<Sax> Adrian hits ground behind the station wagon!
<TesKin> 4df+6
<Glacon> TesKin: 7 (4df+6=0, 0, 0, +)
<Optimal> Wait is the thing… levitating?
<Optimal> It's starting to rise up into the air!
<TeslaTornado> Gavran watches. "Get the box back over it and put it in the truck! We don't have time for this bullshit!"
<Optimal> 4df+4 Slippery stuff thing artifact.
<Glacon> Optimal: Slippery stuff thing artifact.: 8 (4df+4=+, +, +, +)
<TeslaTornado> (Well shit.)
<Sax> (Doubleshit.)
<gumbal1> (fuck)
<TesKin> (Tripple shit)
<Optimal> The thing slips right out of Branko's arms and starts floating upward.
<Optimal> The whirring is now louder.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran watches from the door of the shop.
<TesKin> Branko falls to the ground.
<gumbal1> Danielle just stares at it. She looks ready to either cry or let out a barrage of French invective.
<Optimal> It seems to be… positing itself. It's rising above the road on the other side of the store.
<Optimal> *positioning
<Sax> Adrian's watching this thing rather carefully.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran wheels through the store and keeps an eye on it.
<Daedalus> Hermann trains his gun at it, but mostly watches it in awe.
<gumbal1> ~this was supposed to be easy…~
<TesKin> Branko sits up and looks at the artifact.
<Sax> ~This is why we ask more questions before the mission itself~
<Optimal> The oval shaped thing is now hovering 30 feet above route 63. Many of the townspeople are staring at it in either fear or awe.
<Sax> Adrian seethes as he puts his Singer away.
<Sax> "Hermann, Branko!"
<Sax> "We need these people out of the way!"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran watches from the shelter of the shop.
<TesKin> Branko nods and gets to his feet.
<Optimal> The narrow ends of the artifact where all of the lines meet begin to glow very brightly.
<Optimal> It whirs louder than ever.
<Optimal> People scream.
<Optimal> Children stare in awe.
<Daedalus> Hermann nods and shouts at the civilians "ACHTUNG! RUN! GO!"
<TesKin> Branko waves his arms and yells "GET OUT OF HERE NOW!"
<Optimal> They all stare at the weird German man.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks out over the crowd, basically unable to do anything.
<Optimal> And the Russian.
<Sax> "… perhaps I should have yelled instead!"
<TeslaTornado> The affable Serbian with a passible US accent wheels out of the front of the shop. "Please leave the area!"
<Optimal> Then everyone begins to hear something. They all hear something different. Psi-7 can hear it too.
<Sax> Adrian gets in the truck, and reaches for the radio!
<Optimal> It's strange. Whatever it is, it seems to be… calling you. Calling you outside. Calling you to come look at the thing in the sky.
<Daedalus> Hermann climbs onto the station wagon and fires his gun into the air, hoping to scare the civilians off.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran puffs himself up. Whatever this thing is that's imploring—oh god /dammit/, Hermann.
<TeslaTornado> He sighs.
<gumbal1> Danielle continues staring at it.
<TesKin> Branko is still yelling at the people.
<Sax> «Command, Psi-7. This whole thing is very quickly going south!»
<Optimal> Everyone flinches at the gunshots, but doesn't run away. Their too busy looking at the artifact.
<Optimal> It whirs even harder.
<Optimal> People walk out of their houses to stare at it, all of them share the same confused face.
<Sax> Adrian hops out! And is FUMING!
<TeslaTornado> Gavran valiantly attempts to perform crowd control. "Please step away from the floating object! It presents a risk to your health and safety!"
<Daedalus> Hermann looks at to the artifact.
<Sax> 4df+7 Adrian fires his Grease Gun at the artifact!
<Glacon> Sax: Adrian fires his Grease Gun at the artifact!: 7 (4df+7=-, +, 0, 0)
<Optimal> They're not listening to you Gavran. The object is talking to them.
<TeslaTornado> "FU-"
<Sax> ~Should've followed Grant and them to the GOC instead!
<gumbal1> "Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks up at the whine of gunfire. "God /dammit/."
<Optimal> The artifact flinches back, but remains in the air.
<Optimal> A scream is heard. A mother's scream.
<gumbal1> "ffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
<Sax> To any other Psi-7 agents: "We need to get that thing down, now!"
<Optimal> Someone's little girl is starting to float up into the air.
<Sax> "One way or another!"
<TesKin> Branko stops flaling at the scream. "Shit!"
<TeslaTornado> "NOT SHOOTING IT WOULD BE A GOOD START."
<Sax> "The crowd isn't listening!"
<Optimal> A man in his twenties does the same.
<Sax> "They're pinned in place!"
<TeslaTornado> "PERHAPS YOU'D LIKE TO CLIMB UP THERE AND PULL IT DOWN YOURSELF, THEN?!"
<Optimal> So does a school teacher.
<Sax> "We need to get it down!"
<Daedalus> "NEIN!!" Hermann runs over to the girl and attempts to pull her down.
<Optimal> And a doctor.
<Sax> Adrian hops into the truck.
<Daedalus> He attepts to pull other people down as well.
<Sax> What kind of artillery are we talking here?
<TeslaTornado> "I'VE GOT A THIRTY FOOT LADDER SHOVED UP MY ASS FOR JUST SUCH AN OCCASION!" Gavran grabs hold of the doctor's ankles.
<Optimal> Roll strength Daedalus.
<gumbal1> Danielle looks around. Anything that might help?
<TeslaTornado> Two hundred pounds of handicapped Serbian deadweight grapples to the guy.
<TeslaTornado> 4df+3 (STR) Griiiiip
<Glacon> TeslaTornado: (STR) Griiiiip: 4 (4df+3=0, 0, +, 0)
<Daedalus> 4df
<Glacon> Daedalus: 1 (4df=0, 0, 0, +)
<TesKin> Branko sprints over to Hermann and grabs the doctor as well.
<Sax> "Then use it, agent!"
<Sax> Adrian's clearly beyond cheesed at this point!
<Optimal> Please, everyone pause.
<Optimal> Something's happening outside.

  • gumbal1 has quit (Connection reset by peer)
  • gumbal1 (retal.xobdnas.ym.raelc.lliw.1l|bmug#retal.xobdnas.ym.raelc.lliw.1l|bmug) has joined
  • gumbal1 has quit (Connection reset by peer)

<Optimal> UNPAUSE. RESUME.
<Optimal> Adrian, there is a submachine gun, a rifle, a couple of pistols and… HOLY SHIT IS THAT A ROCKET LAUNCHER???
<Optimal> Gavran you are almost more successful as Hermann, but both of you fail to grab the people.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran flops back into his seat. He frantically searches for another person who is about to be lifted off the ground and tries to grab them before they lift off.
<Optimal> About half of the townspeople are drifting upward towards the object. The other half, are actually still grounded.
<Sax> Adrian hops out of the truck…
<Sax> … with the rocket launcher.
<Sax> And holding onto the radio.
<Optimal> Tyler, who is near Gavran starts to float upward. "OH SHIT!"
<Sax> «Command, Psi-7. Situation is out of control, proceeding to attempt to neutralize object.»
<TeslaTornado> Gavran leans out of his wheelchair and grabs Tyler.
<Optimal> Strength son!
<TeslaTornado> 4df+3 (STR) GRIIIIP
<Glacon> TeslaTornado: (STR) GRIIIIP: 4 (4df+3=0, +, -, +)
<Optimal> 4df+4
<Glacon> Optimal: 5 (4df+4=-, 0, +, +)
<Optimal> The tractor beam on that thing is just way to strong.
<TesKin> Branko looks around. Who else is being picked up?
<Optimal> Half of the town is slowly floating upward towards the object.
<Daedalus> Is anyone on the team being raptured?
<TeslaTornado> Gavran flops again. "God dammit!"
<Optimal> No one on the team is floating upward. I wonder why?
<TesKin> Branko runs to a person floating away and grabs hold of them.
<TeslaTornado> "If this is that fucking thing from the broom closet, I swear."
<Sax> Adrian's waiting, to see what exactly happens to the people.
<Optimal> Adrian, every second you waste, more people are coming closer towards that object. It's up to you if you decide to fire it.
<Sax> Adrian hauls ass!
<Sax> Are there reloads?
<TesKin> 4df+6 (Str)
<Glacon> TesKin: (Str): 7 (4df+6=+, 0, +, -)
<Optimal> Nope. Just one rocket.
<Sax> He can't afford to miss.
<Sax> He moves to a more favorable position.
<Optimal> Everyone that is floating upward is already in the air Branko.
<Optimal> No use.
<Optimal> People scream as their loved ones drift towards the object.
<TeslaTornado> Change of plans. Gavran attempts to grab hold of someone and follow them up to the orb, then grab the orb and drag it out of the sky.
<TeslaTornado> 4df+3 (STR)
<Glacon> TeslaTornado: (STR): 5 (4df+3=0, +, 0, +)
<Optimal> 4df+4
<Glacon> Optimal: 7 (4df+4=+, +, 0, +)
<Optimal> Shoot! Not tight enough. That damn pull is strong.
<Sax> Adrian, meanwhile, climbs up a building, far enough to keep him out of the killzone, and begins aiming.
<Optimal> That was the last guy by the way.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran lets out a grunt of frustration.
<Sax> ~Almost like hunting… instead of bullets, we're talking rockets!
<Optimal> People are now about 15 feet away from the object Adrian.
<Daedalus> Hermann looks up at Adrian, "TAKE THE SHOT!"
<Optimal> 14 feet.
<Sax> Adrian takes a deep breath…
<Optimal> 13 feet,
<TeslaTornado> He looks up at the orb in a great deal of frustration.
<Optimal> 12 feet.
<Optimal> 11 feet.,
<Sax> 4df+10 Hunting with a rocket launcher!
<Glacon> Sax: Hunting with a rocket launcher!: 11 (4df+10=+, -, +, 0)
<Optimal> 10 feet
<TesKin> "If he misses all those people are fucked!"
<Optimal> Let's see… Adrian's on the Pennysaver, and the onject is about 2 feet wide. He's roughly about… 40 feet away from the thing?
<TeslaTornado> "What do you mean?!" Gavran hasn't noticed the rocket launcher.
<Optimal> Hmm…
<Optimal> 4df+8
<Glacon> Optimal: 6 (4df+8=-, -, 0, 0)
<Optimal> DIRECT HIT. The object comes barreling out of the sky… and so do the people. Mind you… these people were 10 feet away from the thing when it went off. Concussion is a bitch. The first people to take off were the closest to it too.
<Optimal> The girl.
<Optimal> The doctor.
<Optimal> The teacher.
<Optimal> That other guy…

  • Daedalus (~moc.rr.ser.lacos.E7528495-CRInys|enahtanoj#moc.rr.ser.lacos.E7528495-CRInys|enahtanoj) has left
  • Daedalus (~moc.rr.ser.lacos.E7528495-CRInys|enahtanoj#moc.rr.ser.lacos.E7528495-CRInys|enahtanoj) has joined

<Daedalus> Hermann tries to position himself under at least one to catch them.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran is directly underneath the object.
<TeslaTornado> He shouts an incredibly loud stream of curses in various and sundry languages as he hears the *fwump* of a rocket being launched.

  • Vivax (rewsna.na.rof.gnitiaw.ydobon|gniklaT#rewsna.na.rof.gnitiaw.ydobon|gniklaT) has joined
  • ChanServ sets mode +a on #homeimprovement Vivax
  • ChanServ gives channel operator status to Vivax
  • gumbal1 (retal.xobdnas.ym.raelc.lliw.1l|bmug#retal.xobdnas.ym.raelc.lliw.1l|bmug) has joined
  • WetBeard (moc.rr.ser.cn.14D278B9-CRInys|tibbiM#moc.rr.ser.cn.14D278B9-CRInys|tibbiM) has joined

<TesKin> "HOLY SHITBALLS!" Branko just looks in awe as Adrian blows the artifact out of the sky.
<Optimal> All of the people fall about 20 feet to the pavement of the road. Hermann manages to catch a pretty young lady. Gavran gets bonked on the head by a really friggen hot artifact. A 60 pound artifact. Jesus, why were you under the damn thing?
<gumbal1> Danielle recovers from the shock.
<TeslaTornado> 4df+6 (PDEF + The Man Who Would Not Die) Let's play the "broken neck" game
<Glacon> TeslaTornado: (PDEF + The Man Who Would Not Die) Let's play the "broken neck" game: 8 (4df+6=-, +, +, +)
<Optimal> 4df+6 IT'S A FUCKING 60 POUND FIREBALL.
<Glacon> Optimal: IT'S A FUCKING 60 POUND FIREBALL.: 3 (4df+6=-, 0, -, -)
<Optimal> And surprisingly only leaves a dent in the man's cranium, but otherwise uninjured.
<TeslaTornado> Placing external cranial pressure on the brain.
<TeslaTornado> Fun.
<Daedalus> Just buff it out later
<TeslaTornado> Gavran is thrown from his wheelchair and immediately rendered unconscious.
<TeslaTornado> His nose bleeds.
<Sax> ~20 foot fall… not too bad~
<TesKin> Branko rushes over to Gavran and kneels next to him. "Shit shit shit!"
<Daedalus> "Are you alright?" Hermann asks as he puts the lady down.
<Optimal> Many people on the road slowly push themselves off the ground. A couple don't.
<Optimal> The lady looks at Hermann. "Oh goodness, thank you! Yes I am, I'm fine. Just a little… shaken up is all."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran is unconscious, bleeding from his head and nose, and in Full Noodle Mode.

  • gumbal1 has quit (Ping timeout: 187 seconds)

<Daedalus> Hermann nods, then heads over to Gavran to help him.
<TesKin> Branko just sits there. He doesn't really know what to do, he's not a doctor.
<Sax> Adrian discards the launcher, then climbs back down.
<Optimal> There are exactly four figures on the ground that don not get up.
<Sax> Adrian gets to word.
<Sax> work*
<Optimal> Besides Gavran anyway.
<Vivax> The music is dramatic and sad
<Sax> 4df+12 Triage (DNH + Medical)
<Glacon> Sax: Triage (DNH + Medical): 13 (4df+12=+, +, 0, -)
<TeslaTornado> Severe cranial trauma. You'd guess a massive skull fracture.
<Optimal> Who are you looking at Adrian?
<TeslaTornado> The skull plate is concave, likely pressing against his brain.
<Daedalus> 4df+10 Hermann helps Gavran and whoever else needs help.
<Glacon> Daedalus: Hermann helps Gavran and whoever else needs help.: 12 (4df+10=0, 0, +, +)
<TeslaTornado> Which would explain the nosebleed.
<Sax> Optimal, quick scanning everyone.
<Sax> To judge who can be saved easily.
<Sax> At least until more help arrives.
<Optimal> Adrian gets to what he does best… but he may notice the four who have not gotten up…
<TeslaTornado> Hermann, unless you've prepped yourself for brain surgery there isn't much you can do.
<Sax> Optimal, those are the people he is looking at.
<Sax> Anyone who can still walk can be treated later.
<Sax> What are their injuries, and how severe?
<TesKin> Branko just sits there. He can't do much for the wounded.
<Optimal> They look… pretty damn severe. They're not even moving. Blood pools out from under them onto the street.
<Vivax> Branko is confronted by his own uselessness in the face of death. It reminds him of the time his dog was hit by a car.
<Sax> He sighs, and then heads over to Gavran.
<TeslaTornado> Massive skull injury, pressure on the brain, internal bleeding.
<Daedalus> Hermann heads over to the radio and calls in for medical support.
<TeslaTornado> Despite all that, he's… Still alive. Somehow
<TeslaTornado> Miraculously.
<Optimal> Some of you may hear a strange noise in the sky.
<Daedalus> "If we can get him to a hospital I can save him."
<TesKin> Branko stands. "We should move the bodies."
<Optimal> A loud *Bwooong* noise, like from the Inception trailers.
<Optimal> The clouds above begin to part.
<Optimal> Light shines down onto the dark setting.
<TesKin> Branko looks at the light.
<Sax> "Austerlitz, take care of Gavrille."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran is hilariously unconscious.
<Sax> Adrian cocks his SMG, and cautiously approaches the light.
<TesKin> Branko follows him.
<Daedalus> 4df+4 Hermann examines Gavran, what would it take to fix this?
<Glacon> Daedalus: Hermann examines Gavran, what would it take to fix this?: 6 (4df+4=0, 0, +, +)
<Daedalus> Add six to that.
<TeslaTornado> A fucking miracle, Hermann.
<Optimal> And a figure comes floating down from the sky…
<Optimal> Oh shit.
<Sax> Adrian gets behind whatever can be suitable for cover, and begins observing.
<Optimal> It's… the NotMessiah. An even larger version. Now he is about 50 feet tall.
<Daedalus> If that isn't God here to personally hand Hermann the miracle he needs, I swear…
<TesKin> Branko just stares at it. "Fuck."
<Optimal> It slowly glides down to the position where the artifact. The people start to stare at it once again, but thankfully do not drift upwards. NotMessiah stares at Psi-7.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran would be staring, but he's currently focusing all of his subconscious, biologically-preordained efforts on things like having a pulse, breathing, and other such things commonly associated with not being dead.
<Optimal> It stares at them all. "Vessel."
<Optimal> His voice booms, yet is strangely soothing.
<TesKin> "Vessel?"
<Optimal> "Vessel. Where."
<Daedalus> Hermann looks up at it, then down at Gavran, then back at it again. He starts to laugh, "You want the sphereical object I suppose?"
<Optimal> The NotMessiah stares back at Hermann, expressionless. "Yes."
<TesKin> "Well, do we hand it over?"
<Daedalus> "It fell on this man's head, concaving his skull, but I suppose you don't care…" Hermann stands and looks over to where the sphere is.
<Optimal> It hovers above the road. All of the townspeople have disappeared, except for the four on the ground.
<TesKin> Branko walks over to the sphere and looks at it.
<Optimal> NotJesus glances from Hermann to an unconscious Gavran. He stares at Gavran.
<Sax> Adrian also walks over.

  • gumbal1 (retal.xobdnas.ym.raelc.lliw.1l|bmug#retal.xobdnas.ym.raelc.lliw.1l|bmug) has joined

<TeslaTornado> Blood pools in Gavran's manubrium. He breathes shallowly.
<Daedalus> Hermann walks over and picks up the sphere with both hands, "Is this what you want?" He asks the being.
<TeslaTornado> His legs are twisted beneath him.
<Sax> Adrian goes back to attending to Gavran.
<Optimal> Suddenly, Gavran is lifted up from the ground and up into the air. NotMessiah's eyes begin to glow brighter as he stares at the hovering man.
<TeslaTornado> The NotMessiah might get the feeling that Gavran would be staring back at him with a note of disdain for all of the pomp and circumstance.
<TeslaTornado> If he weren't skullcrush'd.
<Optimal> Psi-7 can hear a crack as the dent is popped out of his skull, and his various broken bones healed. Including his legs.
<Sax> ~Oh Jesus~
<Optimal> Without moving, the NotMessiah gently puts a freshly healed Gavran back onto the ground.
<Sax> Adrian stares on with a mixed look of awe and disgust.
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks back at Hermann.
<Optimal> He speaks.
<Optimal> "I."
<Optimal> "Do."
<Optimal> "Care."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran blinks a couple times, confused and groggy. He looks down at the blood that spilled from behind his collarbone onto the collar of his shirt. "… Who the hell bled on me."
<TeslaTornado> "And why does everything hurt."
<Optimal> He might also notice that he's standing.
<TesKin> Branko looks at Hermann. "Please do not piss him off more."
<Sax> To Gavran: "One of us will explain later on."
<Sax> Adrian goes to the orb.
<Sax> Is it still hot?
<Daedalus> Hermann just stares at the being, "What do you want from us?"
<Optimal> The voice booms once more. "Nothing."
<Optimal> It's now luke-warm Adrian.
<Sax> He attempts to pick it up.
<Sax> Can it be picked up with ease?
<Optimal> Well, it's once again 60 pounds.
<Sax> He doesn't bother.
<Sax> He looks to the other downed townspeople.
<Sax> The ones who could not get up.
<TesKin> Branko reaches down and picks up the artifact.
<Optimal> NotJesus peers at that the ones that are not moving as well. He sees the pool of the blood under all of them.
<Optimal> "Why."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran shakes his head, grunts, and stands up, then walks over to his wheelchair and sits down in it.
<TeslaTornado> Blinks. Stands up. Sits down again.
<Sax> "This orb began drawing people towards it."
<TeslaTornado> "I remember seeing a rocket being launched at it."
<TeslaTornado> "And then I remember—YOU SON OF A BITCH."
<Sax> Adrian has a plain pokerface on.
<Sax> "I launched the rocket at the orb in a last-ditch attempt to deactivate it."
<Daedalus> "They fell when we disrupted the device from levitating them."
<TeslaTornado> "COXWELL FUCKING KILLED THEM."
<Optimal> NotMessiah stares at Adrian.
<Sax> "Their deaths was not an intended effect."
<Optimal> He decides to break his one word blurts.
<Optimal> "Sphere made to save."
<TeslaTornado> "You shot a ROCKET at them."
<TesKin> "Save? How?"
<TeslaTornado> "While they were TWENTY FEET IN THE AIR."
<TeslaTornado> "WHAT THE /FUCK/ DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN."
<Sax> To Gavran: "That they would fall 20 feet into the ground."
<Optimal> It looks at Branko. "Innocent. Caring. Accepting. Good humans."
<Daedalus> "Rapture."
<Daedalus> "You intended to ascend them, is that it?"
<Optimal> "These humans…" He looks down at the four that are dead. "…were good people."
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks at Hermann. "Similar. That is what they called it."
<Sax> "What was the sphere going to do to them?"
<Optimal> To Adrian. "Save."
<TeslaTornado> "Your listening skills are unparalleled, as are your critical thinking skills." Gavran grumbles. "Likely this thing intended to spirit them away."
<TeslaTornado> "So that they couldn't endure things like disease, cancer, starvation, or being blown up by military-grade explosives."
<Sax> Adrian pauses. He's done all four to various groups of people.
<Sax> At one point or another in his career.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran smiles grimly, satisfied.
<Optimal> NotJesus adds to Gavran's statement. "To be saved from the… knuckledraggers, as you call them."
<Sax> "Knuckledraggers?"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran indicates the portion of his skull where he assumes a crater to have been moments before, then Adrian.
<TeslaTornado> Then the corpses.
<TeslaTornado> Then Adrian again.
<Daedalus> "…
<Daedalus> "
<TeslaTornado> Then Hermann, for good measure.
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks at the corpses, and then to Adrian. "You… killed. …Innocence"
<Sax> Adrian pauses…
<Sax> … then looks up.
<Sax> "Yes, I have killed innocent people."
<Optimal> Among the dead is a little girl.
<Optimal> Laying there, with a doctor, a teacher, and a… whatever that guy does.
<Optimal> He looks at Adrian again. "Why?"
<Sax> Adrian doesn't look away.
<TesKin> Branko just looks at the girl.
<Sax> He walks over to each and every one of them.
<Optimal> He keeps looks at Adrian and asks again. "Why?"
<Optimal> *looking
<Sax> "To stop that orb."
<Sax> "Because I did not know what it would do to them."
<Optimal> "What did you assume."
<Sax> "I assumed that it would destroy them."
<Sax> "Or leave them in a state in which death would be better."
<Daedalus> "We thought their lives were in danger."
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks at the others. "This. Is why we save."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran blinks, looks around. "My hands slipped when I tried to grab the orb, that's my alibi."
<Optimal> "Man lives in fear. We are to here to save the worthy."
<TesKin> Branko just stands there, holding the sphere.
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks at Branko. "The vessel. Please."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks at the thing. "We would like to study it."
<TeslaTornado> "If you do not mind."
<TeslaTornado> "This will require retention of the orb."
<Sax> "What will become of them, now that they are dead?"
<Optimal> "Humans, curious."
<Optimal> "You may keep the vessel."
<TeslaTornado> "Curious, yes, that's the word."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran chuckles.
<Daedalus> "Can you bring these people back?" Herman asks, eyeing the corpses.
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks back at Adrian, glaring. "Beyond my reach."
<Optimal> "Dead."
<Optimal> "Inert."
<TeslaTornado> "Victimized." Gavran adds, helpfully.
<TesKin> Branko walks over to the truck and puts the artifact in the back.
<Sax> He nods, understanding.
<Optimal> NotMessiah concludes. "I will let you all leave today."

  • WetBeard (moc.rr.ser.cn.14D278B9-CRInys|tibbiM#moc.rr.ser.cn.14D278B9-CRInys|tibbiM) has left

<Optimal> "But if you hinder our operations once more, we will act."
<TeslaTornado> "And next time?" Gavran crosses his arms, still sitting in his wheelchair.
<Optimal> "The innocent must be safe."
<Optimal> *saved
<TeslaTornado> "This would be so much easier if you would just leave us be." Gavran grunts.
<TeslaTornado> "Your interference only exacerbates the problem which you are trying to solve."
<Optimal> He looks at Gavran. "All innocence will be saved."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran indicates the corpses.
<TeslaTornado> "All innocence, then."
<Optimal> NotMessiah looks at them all. "Leave."
<Optimal> He begins to float back into the sky.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran smiles and goes to wheel himself away, then stops.
<TeslaTornado> Stands.
<TeslaTornado> Looks up at the dude and says, "Thank you."
<TesKin> Branko climbs into the back of the truck.
<Optimal> He disappears into the clouds.
<Daedalus> Hermann looks over the corpses still, expressionless.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran goes to the corpses, kneels, and removes some change from his pockets.
<TeslaTornado> He clasps a penny in each of their hands, arranges the corpses, closes their eyes.
<TeslaTornado> Then goes over to the truck, dragging his wheelchair behind him.
<Optimal> The truck driver pulls around from the corner in his transport, "You heard the fuckin thing! Let's get outta here!"
<TeslaTornado> Gavran nods and clambers into the truck.
<Optimal> People begin slowly walking out of their houses. A mother screams as she sees her baby in the road.
<TesKin> Branko jumps out of the back of the truck and walks over to her.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks out of the truck and about drops his jaw. "Branko-"
<TeslaTornado> "Get back in the damn truck!"
<Optimal> Truck driver to Branko. "HEY! We need to go!"
<Optimal> "Now!"
<TeslaTornado> "We don't have time to apologise! Let's go!"
<Optimal> The mother sobs over her child.
<Optimal> The rest of the world is oblivious to her.
<TesKin> Branko stops and looks at her.
<Daedalus> Hermann just stands there, not doing anything. He shakes his head, and climbs into the station wagon.
<TeslaTornado> "Branko! Come on!"
<Optimal> She cries heavily. "Emma! Oh my god, Emma…"
<TesKin> He turns and walks away, back to the truck.
<TesKin> He covers his ears to try and block out the mother sobbing over her child.
<Optimal> Adrian drives the station wagon as well.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran frowns, but doesn't move out of the truck.
<TeslaTornado> He offers Branko a hand in boarding again.
<Optimal> The truck starts to roll off in the other direction.
<Optimal> The station wagon follows behind.
<Daedalus> Hermann snaps a picture of the town as they leave.
<TesKin> Branko jogs behind and hops into the truck.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran hauls him in.
<Optimal> The long journey out of the small town has started, hours pass.
<Optimal> After a very tiresome ride, they find themselves back at Site 19.
<TesKin> Branko dismounts as soon as the truck stops.
<Optimal> The truck driver gets out and looks around. "The fuck was all that about?"
<Daedalus> "Be thankful all you do is drive a truck."
<Daedalus> Hermann says as he passes the man.
<TesKin> Branko says nothing. He just slowly walks towards the door to the motorpool.
<Optimal> The driver scratches his head.
<TeslaTornado> Gavran leans against the cab of the truck and sighs. "Another experiment in the violence inherent in human nature."
<TeslaTornado> "To put it bluntly, a metaphysical dick-dragging contest between men and gods."
<Optimal> "Uh… wondaful."
<TeslaTornado> "Quite."
<TeslaTornado> Gavran looks to the driver with an odd expression that he can't fathom. Part of it is rueful, part of it sad, part of it clings to the ragged edges of delicate happiness. He puts on a brittle smile.
<TeslaTornado> "Good evening, sir."
<Optimal> The truck driver watches Gavran walk away. He questions his own memory. "… Wait… where's the wheelchair?"
<TeslaTornado> "I don't need it."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License