Position: Security guard.
Demeanor: Reclusive, quiet, professional, precise.
Nature: Fearful, sentimental, determined.
Description: Theo is a black man standing at about 5'7", age 28. His most distinctive features are a droop on the right side of his mouth and a large, irregularly shaped scar on his right cheek, with his expansive acne scarring coming in a close second. His brown eyes are a bit on the large side, and his black hair is on the short side. His build is athletic, with substantial musculature in spite of his stature. His fingers seem just a bit longer than normal.
Theo's facial expressions/demeanor generally cycle through some combination of weariness, wariness, reluctance, and melancholy, except in unusual circumstances; outright fear or anger are relatively rarely expressed. His voice is low, and he has a tendency to mutter. His hygiene and posture are, under most circumstances, impeccable.
- Physical Health: 7
- Mental Health: 7
- Physical Defense: 4
- Mental Defense: 5
- Perception: 4
- Agility: 4
- Strength: 4
- Melee: 41
- Ranged: 4
- Sneak: 4
- Academics: 2
- Engineering: 3
You have twelve points to distribute among as many or as few specialty skills as you see fit (but at least three is almost always warranted). Remember to explain what each specialty entails.
- Security Guard: 4. Checking IDs, patrolling, filing reports, keeping an eye on the premises, checking equipment, fighting off intruders, etc.
- Sculpting: 5. The art of sculpture, and the appreciation/theory thereof. Theo's preferred medium is wax and his preferred tool is a knife, but is competent in other forms.
- Candles (Anomalous): 3. Techniques Theo learned from his grandfather allow him to carve candles that have any one of these properties:
- Non-Euclidean: The candle has an abnormally large cylindrical interior space, accessible by removing the "lid'. Roll result sets the size of this space. Items inside are functionally weightless, as their abnormal location means that they are not pulled "down" by gravity.
- Entrancing: When lit, the candle's flame has an attention-grabbing, pacifying effect on observers. Roll result sets the DC for opposing Mdef, and determines how strong a distraction must be to disrupt those caught up.
- Burning: When lit, the candle's flame is abnormally large, and can be controlled by the strong-willed. Roll result sets the size of the flame and the Mdef DC to control it or wrest control of it away.
- Handy: When placed against a wound or a malfunctioning device, the candle's wax will de-solidify and move in to fill the wound or replace the broken components. One-time use, not permanent by any means. Roll result is the bonus applied to the relevant Medical or Engineering roll.
- Honest: When lit, the candle's flame will flare up and lean in the direction of someone who is being deceptive in some respect. Roll result is the bonus applied to the relevant Perception check opposing a Bluff or Sneak check.
- Candles fits comfortably in one hand. Sturdy enough to take some moderate handling, but serious damage will wreck their anomalous properties. Only two can exist at a time; if more exist, none will function.
- As a result of learning these techniques, Theo will occasionally (once every few days, on average) experience a compulsion to carve random carvable things, lasting at least until physically restrained or the sculpture has been completed. This can occur at GM discretion. A compulsion to do so against living things is quite rare, but not unheard of.
List everything your character carries on their person here. Be reasonable.
- A few small knives, good mostly for sculpture work.
- Gun and such. Rifle or pistol, depending on the situation.
- Baton, pair of handcuffs.
And everything that they keep in their room at Site 19. Anything that's not listed here or in the section above will be difficult for the character to retrieve.
- Various sculptor's tools.
- Lots and lots of candle sculptures.
- A decent number of books, mostly dealing with history, politics, and art.
Theodore Carter was born on December 26, 1927, to a working-class family in Youngstown, Ohio. His father, predictably, worked at steel mills part-time and his mother sometimes found work as a housecleaner. Inevitably, Theo and his two younger siblings wound up in the care of his grandfather. Theo's grandfather, a candlemaker by trade and a magical candle sculptor by training from his own grandfather, had taken it upon himself to pass the craft onto Theo — Jack was too invested in scientific study, and Marcia was a girl (bullshit, I know). Grandpa Carter, a lifelong socialist, also shared his political ideology with Theo.
How much XP your character currently has.