Position: Anomalous HR Gal
Demeanor: Melanie comes off as aloof, smiley, and slightly airheaded. She occasionally has large grants of insight. She carries herself in a way that can be seen as graceful or slimy.
Nature: Melanie doesn't know how she feels at any moment, so she is unpredictable. In general she is happier than not, but is prone to frequent medical visits for anxiety.
Description: Melanie likes to keep appearances. Dark hair, intense dark eyes, with equally intense red lipstick to match. Is usually seen wearing dresses or fashionable tailored suits. She is never without gloves or a shawl or some sort.
You have 36 points to distribute among Basic and Pseudo-Specialty Skills. Please follow the guidelines on the Game Mechanics page. Erase any skills you have no points in.
- Physical Health: 7
- Mental Health: 7
- Physical Defense: 4
- Mental Defense: 3
- Perception: 5
- Agility: 3
- Strength: 2
- Persuasion: 4
- Bluff: 4
- Melee: 3
- Sneak: 4
- Medical: 4
You have twelve points to distribute among as many or as few specialty skills as you see fit (but at least three is almost always warranted). Remember to explain what each specialty entails.
- (Anomalous) Touch Mind Reading: 3. Melanie is capable of detecting people's mental states, usually emotions, through touch. She can occasionally be so accurate as to pick up anything from demeanor to strong thoughts, beliefs, desires and aspirations. This isn't always willing on her part, so she does what she can to avoid touching people. She perceives this sense of touch as also partially taste. As a consequence, Melanie can't really tell how she herself feels at any moment, and relies on her physical reactions in order to function.
- To clarify regarding the above, Melanie's drawbacks are that she cannot control when her anomalous effect kicks in. It will happen at every physical touch. Furthermore, she cannot know her own emotional state except through studying her own physical actions.
- See See No Touch: 5. Melanie is adept at avoiding being touched. From her training as a dancer and also her time at MC&D, she has learned how to stealthily and subtly move her body with enough poise and grace to do her best to avoid being touched when she isn't initiating. Agi/Stealth-related skill.
- Kiss Me, Loverboy: 4. Both from roleplaying on stage and negotiating for her previous employer, Melanie has near-mastered the art of getting her way with either sweetness or spice. Her primary weapons are a quick wit and sweet tongue in surgically removing the information she needs. Persuasion/Bluff-related skill.
List everything your character carries on their person here. Be reasonable.
- Notebook and Pen
- A small knife for self defense
- Makeup kit
- Calming perfume
- Extra gloves, extra shawl
- A bottle of anomalously calming tablets, which she can't take more than once a week and really for big emergencies
And everything that they keep in their room at Site 19. Anything that's not listed here or in the section above will be difficult for the character to retrieve.
- Enough clothes to make a celebrity jealous
- Photographs of family
- Notes on people and how they taste/smell
- A diary of her emotions for each day
- Books on feeeelings
Melanie started off as a nice, young girl. She wanted to be a dancer. She grew up in the big city with big hopes and dreams in America. She didn't care about any wars, any fighting. She had the art of dance in her. Slowly, she lost her ability to recognize her emotions- she got confused when she laughed and surprised by her tears. This was not a problem until she was 9.
At the age of 9, Melanie had her first panic attack. Right after a large performance, Melanie felt as if she was dying. She was rushed to the hospital. On January of 1942, a nurse touched Melanie's forehead and she tasted an old woman that didn't particularly care about her. She spoke with her parents about it, and agreed that she would take efforts to avoid touch. She started wearing gloves and sweaters.
At the age of 15, Melanie had another panic attack. Then another on a stage, where she could no longer breathe and passed out. Her parents took her from her art and she wept bitterly, unable to understand her own tears. She was taken to psychologists at that time, through which her touch-empathy was discovered. Through medical studies, the Foundation caught wind of her.
But Melanie had gone to work for Marshall, Carter and Dark by then. Her powers were useful and she could keep herself secret. She could still dance in private with herself. She was used as a pretty face, in small and polite bouts of interrogation, in sweet teasing negotiations. Eventually, Melanie got herself in trouble with the wrong kind of crowd in MC&D and was caught in a Foundation raid.
She was captured and, in a bout of negotiation, managed to slide her way into the HR department. Now she works here, privately waiting for a chance to slip out to return to the world of luxury that was MC&D. Not that the Foundation is letting her out of their sights anytime soon.
Melanie sometimes dances for people.