Position: Field Agent/Anti-Magic Specialist
Nature: Kevin is emotionally distant and out of touch with most modern social graces. He tries to be a bit less harsh than he was a few months ago, but this doesn't make up for the fact that he is intrinsically short-tempered and irate. That said, he's… Doing better. It's known now that he is capable of caring about people and having feelings other than hate and vitriol, which is a sign of progress, but he's still not a happy-go-lucky person.
Description: Tall and sturdy, muscular frame. Brown hair cut in the typical two-and-one of an infantryman, clean-shaven. Dark blue eyes peer over a hawklike nose, set into imposing features: jaw square like a brick, cheeks full, forehead lined, brow prominent. The only drawback to his face are rather large ears. Usually fairly eloquent, but when he becomes angry or emotionally compromised he descends into a nearly indecipherable Wiltshire accent.
- Physical Health: 7
- Mental Health: 7
- Physical Defense: 4
- Mental Defense: 4
- Perception: 4
- Agility: 5
- Strength: 4
- Intimidation: 6
- Bluff: 3
- Melee: 3 (1+2 from 4 STR)
- Ranged: 4
- Academics: 4
- Ungentlemanly Warfare (4): Kevin's time in SOE S-Section gave him an impressive grasp of martial skills. The various arts of subterfuge and stealth—tailing, bluffing, going undetected in crowds—as well as a borderline-unnecessary propensity for violence both up close and from afar all fall within Kevin's professional resume. (Applicable to Stealth and Ranged)
- With Their Own Weapons (4): Two subsections:
- Palace of the Mind: Kevin's extensive psychological conditioning resulted in his obtaining a near perfect memory, bolstered by an extensive research library and obsessive note-taking. He receives a +4 to Academics rolls when researching or identifying magical creatures, items, etc.
- Wards of Protection: Each S-Section operative received extensive full-body tattoos covering the neck, arms, and torso, which were designed to channel and absorb magical energy in a way that reduces or negates damage inflicted on the body. When Kevin has a spell cast on him, he adds +4 to PDEF/MDEF. In addition, when in the presence of residual magical energy, Wards can be used in substitution for Perception.
- The Ice King Cometh (4): Kevin is a very, very scary man. When he gives an order, people tend to listen. And when he wants to scare them, well, that works too. On top of that, his mental discipline comes in handy when keeping his cool in otherwise stressful or terrifying situations, and in warding off psychic attacks or cognitohazards. (Intimidation, MDEF)
List everything your character carries on their person here. Be reasonable.
- British commando sweater, cavalry pants, high boots with gaiters
- Two shoulder holsters
- Two Browning Hi-Powers (shoulder holsters) (One currently on loan to Lis)
- Tri-fold wallet
- Foundation ID
- Mirrored sunglasses
- Dog tags
- Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife (in boot)
- Empty shell casing, 7.92x57mm Mauser
- Key to a surplus Indian military bike
And everything that they keep in their room at Site 19. Anything that's not listed here or in the section above will be difficult for the character to retrieve.
- Sten Gun
- Boys Anti Tank Rifle
- Banganash Rifle
- Banganash Pistol
- Large number of iron-tipped rounds for each of his weapons, as well as conventional ammunition
- A phenomenally expensive tailored suit
- Royal Army uniform and greatcoat
- Various articles of mundane clothing
- Gas mask
- Small backpack
- Union Jack, folded
- Various books of tactics and military history
- Various novels, including a heavily marked copy of Walden by Thoreau
- Photographs of various people (displayed in surreptitious positions around the room, not immediately visible to visitors)
- Various translation guides for common phrases in foreign languages; predominantly German, Polish, Italian and French
- Numerous topographic maps
- Library-style desk lamp
- Several journals, full of urgently scratched handwriting
- 6480 Banganash coins
- Fox's Tooth (a single-use item to give a specific impression of onesself to a stranger (e.g. giving a stranger the impression you are a soldier, or that you are a doctor, etc.) as any social roll.)
- Vial of Glittering Dust (This will allow a person to check the soul of a single entity for a single use as a perception roll, although appropriately powerful creatures can resist this.)
- A gorgeous brooch for Fran, worth 1500 Banganash coins
- " It's labled as an Levorian Ice Topaz. There's a central gem, and radiating swirls of silver and gold. The gem itself is beautiful, very heavy light blue with tiny pockets of silver within. Sizeable, too.
How much of Kevin Winsthrop's recorded history is truth and how much of it is fiction is a mystery to all but his parents, several government officials, and Kevin himself. He was born in Wiltshire in 1920 to a pair of innkeepers and initially aspired to be a military historian, as confirmed by hospital records and primary school transcripts at the time. He was recruited to the military in his early twenties and achieved the rank of Sergeant.
At some point during the war, the squad he received a command of encountered a German sorcerer, though the exact time and place of this is unknown. What is known is that three of his men were killed and the remainder, including Kevin, wounded, but the sorcerer was suppressed and killed when Kevin stabbed him in the jugular. Kevin, while recovering from his wounds in the field, was scouted by the Special Operations Executive for his action against the magic user and called to serve in S-Section (S for "Supernatural"), a branch of the SOE that dealt specifically with dangerous magical individuals in the Reich. Kevin was shipped back to England and retrained as an agent of the Crown, and parachuted into Belgium in 1943. For the next two years, Kevin was one of their most effective counter-sorcery operatives, coordinating with other field agents and local resistances and staging several assassinations of key local personnel behind enemy lines, lessening the power of the Reich's magical war machine by a good margin.
When the war ended, Kevin was allowed to retire in peace to Wiltshire, where he got a dog and a house and spent his days fishing and riding motorcycles about the countryside, eventually going back to school and completing a degree in military history.
At some point he was scouted by several organizations for his talent in dealing with magical adversaries, but he turned several of them down, until the Foundation finally found his dossier and established contact with him in 1955. For some reason, unbeknownst perhaps even to him, he decided to join up with the ragtag bunch of Yankees tramping around in the woods of Upstate New York.
Kevin's initiation into S-Section in 1943 involved his being adorned with various defensive wards in the forms of religious iconography being tattooed onto his torso, which is the source for his increased resistance to magic-based attacks. However, the bifold purpose of the wards - one, a defensive barrier, and two, a way to keep the body functioning despite any damage that the wards failed to negate - is overshadowed by the fact that, over time and depending on the damage the wearer has taken, they fail. When the wards fail, all of the damage that they negated or absorbed is re-inflicted upon the body in slow and brutal waves. In 99% of cases this causes critical organ failure, and the subject dies within eighteen to twenty-four hours. This was rectified in an encounter with SCP-738
Kevin adopted a male Bullmastiff shortly after World War II's end and brought it with him to America. Its name is Smoke, and it may well be the only thing on Earth that Kevin displays any kind of affection towards.
He owns a 1941 Indian Scout, which was purchased secondhand from a scrap yard after Kevin arrived in the United States. He rebuilt the motorcycle himself and considers it his primary mode of transportation, using it on personal trips as well as during operations. He displays a remarkable affinity for motor vehicles, especially motorcycles, which apparently owes itself to a combination of his military service and some undisclosed portion of his youth.
Kevin can speak English, German, Polish, and a smattering of Russian, with at least a few accents at his disposal in each language.
His ID number is 04149303.
Kevin displays a distaste for watercraft after Queen of Tears.
He doesn't like being touched. Like really doesn't like being touched. He is also diagnosed with paranoia, and displays symptoms of social anxiety and agoraphobia. He has been prescribed Valium for this issue, but refuses to go on medication.
- Frances Evergreen (formerly)
23 Feb 14: Spent 8 XP on +1 PERC
10 Jun 14: Spent 8 XP on +1 Intimidate
20 Jun 14: Spent 8 XP on +1 Academics
22 Nov 14: XP reset after un-retirement