Position: Forensic Pathologist
Demeanor: Giles comes across as friendly, fun-loving, and a bit eccentric. His interest is easily caught by almost anything he deems unusual. He shows a genuine love for his job, which would be a little more comforting if his job didn't involve so much dissection.
Nature: For the most part, Giles is the same inside as he is outside. He likes people, he's excited at the chance to study such anomalies as the foundation encounters, and he prefers to keep situations friendly and casual. His personality is, to a certain extent, a coping mechanism to deal with the pressures of his job.
Description: Giles is 5'9" tall, with a thin and rather bony build. He has brown hair and grey eyes. He is 39 years old. All that time spent around chemicals of dubious safety has left him easily winded, though he does exercise. He usually wears casual suits when off the job and a medical coat while on it.
- Physical Health: 7
- Mental Health: 7
- Physical Defense: 3
- Mental Defense: 5
- Perception: 5
- Agility: 3
- Strength: 1
- Bluff: 4
- Academics: 4
- Science: 5
- Engineering: 1
- Medical: 5
- Forensic Pathology: 5. Giles is one of the foremost experts in the growing field of forensic pathology. That is, the study of the dead to figure out just why they're dead. In the foundation, this makes him a very good person to come to when you want to know the effects of a dangerous anomaly so that proper safeties can be enacted. Even if the victim hasn't exactly died, Giles's scientific expertise might reveal something new.
- Surgery: 4. Giles has extensive training as a surgeon. Although he prefers working with the dead, he knows his way around the operating table, and gains a bonus to rolls in such situations. This only applies in major surgery operations - pulling a bullet from someone's arm is one thing. Cutting out a bullet lodged dangerously near their spinal cord is another.
- Cadavre Exquis: 3. Due in part to his constant exposure to decidedly abnormal corpses, Giles is unflappable in the face of body horror and excels at unraveling its intricacies.
- Ballpoint pen
- Writing pad
- Wallet with money, ID card, and room key.
- First aid kit – brought with him when danger is expected
- Forensic pathology field kit – brought with him when in the field for the purpose of examining a body
- Record player with extensive record collection
- Assorted surgical tools
- His lab in the medical wing has more extensive equipment for the analysis of corpses
Giles Mathys was born in 1918 to an upwardly mobile family of real estate investors in New York City. Although his adolescent years were spent under the shadow of the great depression, he managed to excel in school and, in 1937, enter the Harvard School of Medicine to study surgery. He was exempt from the WWII draft in the early 1940s for being an undergraduate medical student, but, after one year post graduation interning at a research hospital, he joined the US army medical corps. He served overseas until 1947, two years after the war's end. He spent the majority of his time Marseille, France, treating wounded soldiers.
Upon returning to the United States, he took a job at a veteran's hospital in Virginia. He only lasted for a brief 3 month stint before quitting, the circumstances of which remain unknown to all besides him and his immediate superiors at the foundation.
He moved back to New York and took a job at the research hospital where he had interned. There, he became involved with the growing field of forensic pathology. In the course of his research, he became closely involved with the police force, often acting as a forensic consultant - a job he maintained until he joined the foundation. He was inducted into the foundation in 1957. They needed someone who could make sense of bodies that were no longer quite as recognizably human as they were when alive, and Giles's experience made him a quick study.
- Italian, though he sometimes mixes in French by accident
- Some German, primarily medical terminology. Not conversational.
- Giles enjoys dancing, especially the mambo. He is not particularly skilled.
- He is an avid reader of true crime pulp magazines, largely for the humor value.
- Giles is an amateur astronomer, though this is mostly an excuse to go outside, relax, and drink some brandy.
|Name of Source/Purchase||XP Change||Date|
|Moonwizardventures II: the run equivalent of a -J entry.||+4||5/20/16|
|Kaltos' Folly Pt. 1||+4||9/03/16|
|Please, No Thank You||+2||9/10/16|