Position: 'Research Assistant' / 'Ten Foot Pole' / Anomaly Test Dummy
Demeanor: Rather cheerful and genial. Gives off a very happy-go-lucky vibe. Seems generally friendly and well-meaning, however, he is a product of his time and can be insensitive and bigoted at times without realizing his error. Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to intellectual learning, but may occasionally dispense tidbits of simple country wisdom.
Nature: While Darrin may give off the appearance of a happy, friendly person, he is actually… exactly that. While his optimism may be lessened at times due to exceptional circumstances, he is generally just as positive as he appears.
Description: Darrin is not particularly handsome or ugly in physical appearance. He is around 5'9" with dark brown eyes and hair that he keeps cropped fairly short. He has a worker's tan and broad shoulders. His has the kind of muscular build that comes from a mix of work and training. He has a multitude of scars in various places around his body, and has gotten a crash test dummy logo tattooed on his left shoulder since beginning work with the Foundation. May have features changed more often than most other agents due to the sheer number of anomalies he is exposed to. Often speaks with a thick Southern accent.
- Physical Health: 7
- Mental Health: 7
- Physical Defense: 6
- Mental Defense: 6
- Perception: 3
- Agility: 3
- Strength: 4
- Persuasion: 4
- Intimidation: 3
- Melee: 4 (2+2)
- Survival: 4
- Medical: 1
You have twelve points to distribute among as many or as few specialty skills as you see fit (but at least three is almost always warranted). Remember to explain what each specialty entails.
- Flesh of Iron: 5. By virtue of his determination, dumb luck, a good medical insurance package from the Foundation for his work, and being more durable than he has any right to be, Darrin is remarkably good at scraping through ordeal after ordeal of being affected by anomalies. Darrin receives a bonus in physical defense against anomalous effects. Note that while this helps him to avoid taking damage and, in some cases, helps with recovering from said effects, it does not prevent said effects from happening in the first place. Full bonus only applies in testing conditions, otherwise the bonus is +3.
- Iron Will: 5. By virtue of his determination, happy-go-lucky attitude, thick skull, great mental care package, and unwillingness to comply with bullies, Darrin is remarkably good at scraping through trauma induced by mental anomalies. Darrin receives a bonus in mental defense against anomalous effects. This covers taking damage as the result of a mental attack, and succumbing to things like illusions and mind control. However, this does not prevent the effects from trying to take hold in the first place (e.g. Darrin will still hear the Thing That Should Not Be whispering things in his ear, but a successful roll means that he can ignore said whispers.) Full bonus only applies in testing conditions, otherwise the bonus is +3.
- Test Subject: 2. The Foundation regularly uses Darrin as a test subject for the effects of anomalies so that other researchers can try to learn more about them. Other characters get a bonus to observation or research rolls when studying the effects of an anomaly on Darrin.
- Portable cassette recorder.
- More clothes!
- Nifty white jumpsuit with a black foundation symbol that is sometimes used in testing.
- Special gear for surviving in various climates.
- A rather nice bed.
- A camera.
Darrin was born in a small Mississippi farming town in 1927. He spent his childhood helping with farm work along with his siblings, mostly content with the quiet routine of the farm. As he grew older, he began to take over more of the work of the farm, and also began to make some money on the side as an amateur boxer. Though he was not exceptional enough to climb to the top of the ladder or anything like that, he quickly became notorious in his own town and the surrounding area for the sheer amount of punishment that he could take.
In 1946, Darrin was at his local convenience store when it was attacked by a giant anomalous reptile. Said reptile was eventually subdued by the fledgling Foundation with the aid of several locals. After the incident, witnesses were given amnestics, a cover story, and released.
In 1951, Darrin was traveling the boxing circuit when he came into contact with a memetic contagion which was infecting people in the area with varying degrees of success. Eventually, said contagion was contained by the not-quite-as fledgling Foundation. After the incident, witnesses were given amnestics, a cover story, and released.
In 1955, an extraterrestrial unmanned spacecraft crash-landed in Darrin's hometown near his farm, and was promptly contained by the Foundation. After the incident, witnesses were given amnestics, a cover story, and released.
Except for Darrin.
At this point, the Foundation began to spot the common thread, and detained Darrin for study. After several rounds of testing, it was determined that Darrin could neither cause nor attract anomalies, and was in fact just that unlucky. However, the Foundation did recognize the potential for someone who had been able to survive multiple anomalies without training, and offered him a position at Site-12 helping to research Green and Yellow objects. Confused and hoping to learn more about the world that he had just had a first encounter with for the third time, Darrin accepted.
He spent two years at Site-12 being exposed to anomalies and helping with research before being transferred to Site-77.
Due to his work, Darrin often gets saddled with various anomalous effects, but is also remarkably good at bouncing back from them. He is a rather good cook.
|Name of Source/Purchase||XP Change||Date|