Position: Proactive Biologist and Chemist
Demeanor: Calamity seems to be extremely energetic and devoted to her work. Extremely intelligent and enthusiastic, it's easy for her to fall into asides about all kinds of strange topics, whatever might come to mind.
Nature: Calamity really is extremely enthusiastic about the cause of science, often to the point of rendering her seemingly cruel or apathetic to potential subjects or specimens. Nonetheless, she is absolutely convinced that her work is for the greater good, and she is capable of great acts of kindness and cruelty in equal measure without remorse.
Description: Calamity is a woman with a generally stout build, apparently otherwise put together out of sharp angles. Her brown hair is neatly and fashionably styled into a classic updo, and her face is intelligent and curious. Visual dark red scars can be seen here and there, two at each cheek, one running down from lip to chin, and one across the front of her throat. Her teeth are sharp and serrated.
She has spectacles she uses for close-up work, but otherwise has fine vision.
You have 36 points to distribute among Basic and Pseudo-Specialty Skills. Please follow the guidelines on the Game Mechanics page. Erase any skills you have no points in.
- Physical Health: 7
- Mental Health: 7
- Physical Defense: 3
- Mental Defense: 4
- Perception: 4
- Agility: 3
- Strength: 1
- Intimidation: 2
- Ranged: 4
- Survival: 2
- Academics: 2
- Science: 5
- Medical: 6
You have twelve points to distribute among as many or as few specialty skills as you see fit (but at least three is almost always warranted). Remember to explain what each specialty entails.
- Cruel Anatomist: 3. This girl is a prodigy when it comes to proactive application of cutting implements and the study of biology. Calamity gains a bonus to her Medical skill and may use her Medical skill in place of Academics when concerning organics. Calamity may also use her base Medical skill in place of Melee when using precision weapons, such as knives, against creatures with familiar anatomy. She does not seek combat normally and so prefers to avoid aggression, but she's dangerous when cornered.
- Science!: 3. Calamity is something of a genius when it comes to making improbable alchemical solutions and making science things happen. Bonus to Science when working with theoretical chemistry, especially pharmaceuticals.
- Painkillers: 3. Never afraid of self-experimentation, Calamity has done some major tinkering with her own systems. The end result is that, aside from being incredibly strong of will and resistant to pain, she's also quite difficult to actually cause real harm to; most injuries are merely superficial. Constant bonus to PDEF against non-devastating injury (i.e., being shot versus being pulverized by a falling house) and to MDEF against pain, suffering, or the witnessing thereof.
- Wondrous Rapidity: 3. Calamity is exceptionally skilled at cobbling together medicinal or alchemical solutions with incredible speed. No direct mechanical bonus, but may allow for a check using the specialty as the modifier in order to allow for rapid creation of substances in the field.
- Asthmatic: Flaw. Calamity is somewhat frail and, though resilient, not physically exceptional. If placed in high-stress or high-altitude situations for extended periods, Calamity will begin to accrue cumulative penalties to her base physical stats in increments of .5 per 'round', only remedied by resting and catching her breath for five minutes per penalty increment.1
Fortunately, having been out in the field during the dimensional transference error, Calamity had a good chunk of her useful items on her.
- Satchel, containing…
- A portable alchemy lab
- A surgeon's kit, including tools, anesthetics, disinfectants, and dressings
- A lighter
- Trail mix
- A small handgun with .. a bayonet? Weird.
- A comical array of various horrifying poisons.
- A ludicrous collection of various alchemical products, ranging from curatives (with a label bearing her smiling caricature and contents liable to cause explosive reconstruction), to anesthetics to powerful adhesives and solvents, jarred napalm, jarred liquid nitrogen, you name it.
- An enormous, meandering journal full of research notes, diary entries, sketches and formulae.
That's about all she's managed to bring with. Fortunately, it's most everything important.
Caylee Amity Vayl is, in short, not from our dimension. The daughter of an embattled doctor by name of Amos Vayl, a man in the unenviable position of being the street doctor that every criminal in the city turned to, she was raised in simultaneous wealth and great danger. More than anything, though, the constant influx of hideously wounded men and women eventually drew her toward a fascination with biology.
Her father had hopes that she wouldn't be roped into the same business he was, and so Amos attempted to lever that fascination into a means for Calamity to go legit. He paid for her education at the local university, where she demonstrated prodigious talents for surgery and chemistry. Moreso, however, with blood and gore being her constant companions Calamity did more than merely withstand the more gruesome wounds she had to tend. She became fascinated by them and wanted to not only learn how the bodies worked but how they could be improved.. or dismantled.
This was not the most popular sort of opinion, so Calamity, at the ripe age of 22, was expelled from the university after slicing open a plague victim to see the effects of the contagion on his living internals. From then she fell in with a group of disparate persons, a mercenary, a thief, a former bandit, and an entertainer, and ended up inheriting a casino. This was perfect: as the physician on-site, Calamity had ample funds and a convenient front for her experiments. Being an enthusiastically practical researcher with little concern for cumbersome things like 'ethics' and 'rules', Calamity held to her own sort of code of conduct. She was fantastic to paying clients or those in true need. She was less so to problematic patrons, robbers, or anomalous creatures.
Though unclear circumstances, a Foundation away team found themselves injured in this odd darker London, and in Calamity's care. Impressing them with her fantastic skills in medicine- and discovering that she wanted sunnier pastures and had further rifled through the agents' things and learned their origins- the team grudgingly brought Calamity back to prime Earth with them.
She is a very good doctor.
Calamity LOVES finding new and weird creatures. She's also fond of birds, finding ways to improve existing medical techniques ("improve"), experimentation, and seafood.