Origins is an IRC roleplay about the SCP Foundation's shaky beginnings. It takes place in the year 1955 in upstate New York, at Site 19.
The Foundation, with no more than a hundred and thirty employees, is recruiting anyone who is ready, willing, and able to make the world a better place.
MTF Psi 7
The player characters make up MTF Psi-7 "Home Improvement", the Foundation's primary SCP retrieval force. This motley crew of agents is all the Foundation can spare to actively go out and expand its SCP holdings. It's a wonder they get anything done.
So you wanna join? Cool. First, stop by #origins-ooc on SynIRC. That's our out-of-character room, and you can get help making your character there. Then, make sure you become a member here by clicking "Join this Site" up at the top right. The password is in the chat topic. Once that's done, be sure you look at these as well:
- Rules and Regulations - You have to follow these rules. The GMs will administer discipline as they see necessary to ensure the well-being of the RP.
- Game Mechanics - This is how conflicts and events in-game are resolved.
- Characters - Both a list of all characters and a guide on how to design good characters.
- The Universe - The basics of the setting, including the Foundation's organization and the living conditions of the characters.
- The Forums - A place for discussion that doesn't take place in the real-time, ephemeral land of IRC. Recent Posts collects every post on the site, so you can keep track.
A Note About Canonicity
This RP does not take place within the same canon as any of the 001 Proposals, or any of the canons that pertain to events involving the Foundation before 1945. Numerous elements of this RP will contradict your headcanon, but that's not the point. If you have to consider this an alternate-universe version of the Foundation, do so.
In a nutshell, the tone we're aiming for is one of uncertainty, mystery, and danger. That's not to say we can't have dramatic, romantic, or comedic plots, but things that make the characters feel safe, secure, and in control should not become the main focus of the plot. There can be happy endings, but no happiest endings.
The date in the game is the same as the date out of game, except fifty-nine years in the past. For example, events roleplayed on October 31, 2014 would take place on October 31, 1955 in-character. The game runs on US Eastern Time (UTC/GMT -5).
This RP is based on and makes use of the collective works of the SCP Foundation wiki, located at http://scp-wiki.net. But you should already know that.
If you see something of yours used on this site and want it attributed, contact Roget and he'll make it happen.